any Mazda Heritage updates ?

ooldguy

A bit of history to introduce myself.

I started in karts almost 60 years ago. Switched to W2W road racing at 21 and have road raced and open tracked, at least once, at every major facility East of the Mississippi in many different cars

I became aware of the Mazda Heritage Cup series 3 years ago. As not having to do body repairs after every event ( running Spec Miata ) is a huge positive for me I investigated running a ( approx. ) 30 year old car in " vintage ". As a result I discovered several sanctioning body's on both coasts allowing the early Miata's to run in their vintage groups.

However, there aren't any opportunity's available in the Midwest except for the two SVRA events at Road America and Mid Ohio

Just curious if there are any discussions / considerations / planning with VSCDA, MC, SCCA or any Midwest group to allow the early '90 - '97 Mazda Heritage Cup cars a chance to run with them.

As only the early cars are only one's considered I'd have to say there's a bunch that don't run Spec Miata much or at all as the early cars aren't competitive anymore in Regional's / Majors

I've got results from some of the regions currently allowing the " old " Miata's to run vintage and the car count's look positive

thanks in advance for any info / suggestions for an ooldguy to return to W2W

Robert Dudek

TopGearTech

VRO Principal
Staff member
Hi Robert, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting! I reached out to the VSCDA board and here's the official response:

It’s something we have looked into- but are only watching SVRA and the impacts it has on vintage racing right now. We really have no undersubscribed run groups to add a Miata group, and we don’t have enough room in Group 8 to add them. If we create a new rungroup for them- it will cost every other group in shortened sessions as well. Speed differential is just one other issue with adding them too. Our tracks are so much smaller than what SVRA runs for the most part too. Our ELVF race at RA might be a start one day since we do allow different cars than our other races. Just an FYI and not the answer the Miata guys want to hear yet I am sure.

TopGearTech

VRO Principal
Staff member
Robert, here is some more info:

From Steve (former VSCDA board member): I am no longer a board member. Miata’s will be accepted someday.
But I echo what Doug said. We don’t have under-subscribed run groups. About 10 years ago we ran with a bunch of Spec Miatas at Autobahn. There were quite a few vocal members that didn’t like that they were running with us. Now that was 10 years ago.
Midwestern Council has them running in 2 classes but doesn’t allow them in vintage yet also.

From Kurt (current VSCDA board member): Weeeellll we have 2 going through school at Gingerman that will race the weekend also.

-so I guess if you'd like to drive with VSCDA for at least one race this year, you should signup for the school/race weekend. They should be posting the 2020 race schedule soon: Here's a link to the VSCDA Website

ooldguy

From Kurt (current VSCDA board member): Weeeellll we have 2 going through school at Gingerman that will race the weekend also.

ok, just so I'm clear on this.

VSCDA doesn't allow Miata's to compete, however, two Miata's are going to the G-Man School weekend and are / will be allowed to race that weekend also

Robert ( and all )
Stay tuned. Waterford Hills will be adding a run group this year for 90-97 Miata, Obsolete Spec Racers ( renault and ford ) and Improved Touring cars. We have room on the schedule to do it, without taking away from traditional Vintage cars groups. Under the guise of group 70 / Group 90, it will be a " small bore" group. Like i said, stay tuned. The complications are practice day, and paddock space. That said, i think we can do it. We will be treating less like a place for orphans, more so like a place of " welcome to Vintage racing" Event is late July.

tosaquad

'91 SM owner. This is interesting. I have never driven Waterford Hills but this might be worth a trip out there.

Tosaquad, and all,
Those you have not driven Waterford Hills, It's an old , tight and twisty track, with nice elevation changes . It's also newly repaved.
First timers are offered a track talk and walk Thursday afternoon guided by a very accomplished instructor, and personal " tour guides" on Friday. All hand picked drivers who have instruction experience . FIrst with street vehicles, then they stick around during practice for pointers, and general info. ( air is over there, fuel over is there ,etc)
All at no charge, as we find getting folks up to speed as soon as we can, makes more fun for everybody. There are plenty of Youtube Spec Miata examples, some good, some not so much. At the least they will sell a clue.