Clueless drivers...

JFW

Post names, car types, car number, photos, etc. of racers who need improvement or retirement! :)

John Roswell

I race with Midwest Council and VSDCA. I also crew for several divers who run the BRIC/HAWK at Road America and SVRA at Indy and RA.

By far the most clueless drivers are at the VSCDA events. It is really scary at times. Several of the board members are regularly involved with or protective of drivers who have horrible wrecks repeatedly.

Luckily I do not run in the group where that seems to happen, but the guys I crew for do.

I have also seen a bunch of very clueless accidents at Indy. I think part of it is reluctance to tell people when they should park it.

John

Michael

I have one in car video that tells the tale. Ive had two Corvettes that were rolling road blocks, In 09 I Had a Rookie driver even brag on his Corvette website that there was no way in hell he was gonna get beat by a corvair. A yellow porsche that looked like he was warming his tires on the last few laps of the race.
Ive been accused of being too aggresive when passing a Mustang and had to appoligize to keep him happy.I passed him on the outside of 3 at Road Atlanta and it freaked him out?
Funny thing is when im racing with Gary Moore,Jeff McKain,Ch Dehann or Bob Sommorour,all fast and close, theres never an issue,just alot of fun talk after the race. The past few years i had to start at the back of the grid more than once,although fun coming up through the field you really have be aware when passing,especially cars your not familair with.
If someone just appears in your mirrors,chances are he didnt just drop out of the sky,He caught you, let him by and try to keep up,you may learn something,Blocking him just slows the both of you down. Mike

jcforbes

V8vairmike said:
If someone just appears in your mirrors,chances are he didnt just drop out of the sky,He caught you, let him by and try to keep up,you may learn something,Blocking him just slows the both of you down. Mike
Here here! That, or give him racing room and let him see if he can get the job done. I've posted that video of my trying to pass Les Gonda before. When I was in striking distance he would leave me enough space to drive in and for 2 or 3 laps he stayed ahead due to simply out driving me even though he was off line. I eventually made the right decisions and got the pass completed and we both had a great time.

As for this dropping names that need coaching, I'll tell you what... All you wise old guys need to find that "Cody Forbes" kid and feed him all of the advice you can muster!

Sorry I am not calling numbers and names out, nothing good can come from that, well maybe increased forum traffic :)

I had a talk with someone not that long ago, and the talk was about one racer in our group, and how his track behavior should be handled. He is a older racer and yeah age is catching up with him. I think part of his bad behavior may be on purpose, but the biggest part of his problem is he is unaware of his surroundings. OK, unless you are really a cruel bastard, then this is tough issue to deal with, who wants to go tell the old man his ticket has expired, not me.

A good start would be "rules of the road" talk. At every drivers meeting, talk about watching the mirrors, giving point bys, paying attention to the corner stations, and giving your competitor racing room, in other words quit the blocking BS, if the car is anything resembling beside you leading into corner, than guess what you been out driven at that moment in time, don't pinch the guy, give him room

Maybe a thread about "racing rules of the road" the unwritten part of the rule book, we all know what they are, now there's conversation for you.

s800racer

Hap Waldrop said:
A good start would be "rules of the road" talk. At every drivers meeting, talk about watching the mirrors, giving point bys, paying attention to the corner stations, and giving your competitor racing room, in other words quit the blocking BS, if the car is anything resembling beside you leading into corner, than guess what you been out driven at that moment in time, don't pinch the guy, give him room
Have you been skipping the mandatory driver's meeting at VDCA events?

I've given that speech at almost every event. I knew you people weren't listening...

;)

Doug, unfortunately, I have not been to enough of your driver meetings to remember you did that, so thank you sir, and yes I seen more point bys in recent years, so it's working.