"Enter TWO events on SVRA's 2019 calendar by midnight October 31st and receive a Free Test Day!"

Saw this posted on the VSCDA group on FB, thought it might make for an interesting discussion:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/128530150496033/

In a nutshell, there seems to be arguments on both sides (for and against) this strategy. There's a ton of comments, but here's a couple that stand out:

Well who doesn’t love VSCDA but that being said I couldn’t race after my surgery and went to Indy for the SVRA race as a spectator and WOW what a show they put on. I’d love to race Indy SVRA at some point but it is pricey but it’s also IMS which is a bucket list.

VSCDA is a club. A place for vintage racing enthusiasts to enjoy the classic race cars. SVRA is a for profit business. It's about selling tickets to spectators, to whom they can then pitch SVRA's sponsors. Vintage there has been relegated to a small portion of the "show". It gets the scraps from all their other programs. The V no longer stands for Vintage, but rather for Variety.

Would be interesting to hear the opinions of some of the veteran racers here...

TopGearTech

Administrator
Staff member
RSRShamrock, Thanks for posting and welcome to VRO! I checked out the post you mentioned and would like to add this interesting comment: (I'm not taking sides)

We've just found VSCDA, VRG & CSRG to be more vintage racer focused. We did SVRA at Watkins Glen this fall. Vintage small & medium bore definitely took a back seat to current IGT, current TransAm, recently obsoleted race cars, big bore & even touring laps. They messed up the starting order & shortened the feature race for Minis. But at least we still got 6 laps. Group 8 shows as 2 laps, but only half a lap was under green! They were behind schedule due to several groups of touring laps, some of which had cars break down & require tows. And the current day pro series had to run on time & full length. So vintage got shorted. A Group 8 Alfa racer told us he'd been shorted like that the last 3 years in a row & was done with SVRA. Likely the reason they are now having to look for ways to lure people back.

RSRShamrock, Thanks for posting and welcome to VRO! I checked out the post you mentioned and would like to add this interesting comment: (I'm not taking sides)

We've just found VSCDA, VRG & CSRG to be more vintage racer focused. We did SVRA at Watkins Glen this fall. Vintage small & medium bore definitely took a back seat to current IGT, current TransAm, recently obsoleted race cars, big bore & even touring laps. They messed up the starting order & shortened the feature race for Minis. But at least we still got 6 laps. Group 8 shows as 2 laps, but only half a lap was under green! They were behind schedule due to several groups of touring laps, some of which had cars break down & require tows. And the current day pro series had to run on time & full length. So vintage got shorted. A Group 8 Alfa racer told us he'd been shorted like that the last 3 years in a row & was done with SVRA. Likely the reason they are now having to look for ways to lure people back.
There is no question that the organizations you mention are more vintage racer focused. I did a spreadsheet last night on 2018 race times for SVRA. Race 1 and Race 2 averaged 15.2 minutes each (1% of a 24 hour day) and averaged 4 BS cars in race 1 and 3 B-Sedan cars in race 2. I am unwilling to spend five or six days of my time sitting around for a 15 min race on Sat and Sun not to mention the expenses and logistics.

Hopefully SVRA can do something to make it better or those numbers will most likely go down or away entirely. It is sad because they run some of the best tracks but with low car counts and barely enough track time to call it a race it does not make any sense anymore. I wish them well but it appears their priorities lie elsewhere which is fine for them but sad for traditional Vintage racers.

Last edited:
Hey Terry, interesting information you posted.
SVRA did the B sedan championship at COTA a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure how many car groups SVRA had in the old days? Maybe you can do some research on that?
But simple math tells us, that more car groups mean less track time. It’s not even about the amount of cars per group, its about how many groups can be fit into 1 day. As soon as there is 1 incident in a group, track time disappears at a rapid rate. There is no way to stretch a 8 or 10 hour day beyond 8 or 10 hours! Lol

I do not see how SVRA can expect people to continue racing with them or attract new racers without more track time. Regardless of how desirable the tracks are, they need to combine more groups and provide more track time than others to compensate for the long trips and far higher costs to participate.

SVRA believes that four to five day events plus two days of travel time it the right formula but there are only a limited number of racers who are able to or willing to do that on a long term basis. I think they could have three premier events say CoTA out west, Indy and the Glen and make them but shorten the others but not sure how others feel about this. For a newbie or first time visit the longer events are neat but then not so nice after the initial visit.

I would rather see their events be three day events Friday, Sat and Sunday with lower entry fees hotel rooms and forego BBQ's, fireworks or aging bands from the seventies. I want to be so tired from driving that all I want to do it get a beer with some buddies grab a bite to eat and hit the rack. For those of us who know the track, we could show up on Friday afternoon and do our race weekend like all the rest of the series do.

I do not see how SVRA can expect people to continue racing with them or attract new racers without more track time. Regardless of how desirable the tracks are, they need to combine more groups and provide more track time than others to compensate for the long trips and far higher costs to participate.

SVRA believes that four to five day events plus two days of travel time it the right formula but there are only a limited number of racers who are able to or willing to do that on a long term basis. I think they could have three premier events say CoTA out west, Indy and the Glen and make them but shorten the others but not sure how others feel about this. For a newbie or first time visit the longer events are neat but then not so nice after the initial visit.

I would rather see their events be three day events Friday, Sat and Sunday with lower entry fees hotel rooms and forego BBQ's, fireworks or aging bands from the seventies. I want to be so tired from driving that all I want to do it get a beer with some buddies grab a bite to eat and hit the rack. For those of us who know the track, we could show up on Friday afternoon and do our race weekend like all the rest of the series do.
SVRA events are 3 days. One practice and one qualify on Friday, one qualify and one race on Saturday, one race on Sunday. Same format for years. If you want to pay extra, Thursday is a practice day that has 4 sessions for everyone. This format has been in effect for many years now. If you don't like it, don't go. If you do, go. You know what you're getting when you register. Just my $0.02.

john f

SVRA events are 3 days. One practice and one qualify on Friday, one qualify and one race on Saturday, one race on Sunday. Same format for years. If you want to pay extra, Thursday is a practice day that has 4 sessions for everyone. This format has been in effect for many years now. If you don't like it, don't go. If you do, go. You know what you're getting when you register. Just my $0.02.

john f
If you want to find a parking spot that is not where the spectators park and you have to place orange cones out so you still have a spot when you come off the track you better show up on Wed. Most people that drive half way across the country do the test day on Thursday so they have a better chance of running well especially if they have not been to the track before. Add two days for travel and you have six days out of your life not counting the better part of two days for prep. It is a huge time commitment, far more than the Sat Sun Events the are in your local areas was what I was referring to. For someone like myself to justify that kind of commitment 15 min races are not the answer. We need 30 min races and if more groups need to be combined so be it. I am not bashing SVRA I like SVRA but I cannot devote that kind of time and money for so little track time. Hopefully they will find a solution I would like to run a couple events with them but they also need sufficient car counts so there is some racing going on also and in my glass group 8 B-Sedan that hasn't been the case. Other classes might be better I do not follow the other classes.

Last edited: