Fall Festival at Elkhart Lake - did anyone else have problems?

Mini Madness

No results but what as mess this event was. In the past it has been acceptable but never stellar.

They always have a nice turnout of cars, mainly because of the location (Road America) and the fact that there are so many great cars within a half day tow, and the fact that the long dark night is fast approaching.

We have always put up with lackluster organization and execution, just because it is a last opportunity to follow our passion and socialize.

This year broke all records for poor performance.

It took us 50 minutes to get through registration even tho there were only two people ahead of us.

Tech was another nightmare. That took over an hour.

To be fair, some of our troubles were self-induced so you can't really blame anyone for that.

There were just too many other little and not so little "problems" that we finally packed up Saturday and got home in time to watch some football and salvage a wonderful Sunday at home.

I was hoping results would be on Mylaps but no luck there.

Did I mention that the weather was marvelous?

JR

JFW

I have heard nothing but good things about the Trans-Am/B-Sedan feature that Steve Bonk put on. Especially the umbrella girls!

genericwood

The only real problems we noticed were related to proper gridding. But that was due to combining so many different groups into so many different races. I was changing numbers all weekend because my Group 8 number overlapped with other cars in the Enduro, the TransAm race and the Kimberly Cup race. Considering the extensive track time we got, that was a small price to pay! Registration only took me about 10 minutes, even though I brought a different car than they expected. Tech accepted a HSR annual from the Mitty and I was in and out in a few minutes. Heck, the track didn't even charge me for plugging in my trailer!

The girls were great, but you should have at least shown them next to the Alfa's that took the top 2 spots! But seriously, Steve did a great job of organizing the TransAm/B-Sedan race!

zuzulo56

Mini Madness Did I mention that the weather was marvelous? JR [/quote said:
BOY!, are you ever right!:
Road America - Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival - Lap in Toms Camaro Sept. 10, 2011
Cruising the track during the lunch hour open track session. Road America

JFW

Erik Wood said:
The girls were great, but you should have at least shown them next to the Alfa's that took the top 2 spots!

If you have that picture then post it.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

zuzulo56

Erik Wood said:
:blush: Does ANYONE have the Pho. #'s of these two handsome young women? I need to speak to them and see if they'd like to, eventually, be remembered in the codicil to my will. :grin:

lotusgeorge

JR, Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. I got through Registration in 10 min. and Tech in 20 min(with a brand new car).
Keep in mind both are staffed with volunteers who are trying to help you have a good time. I know the event chairs also work hard and listen to attendees to make the event fun and successful. I probably incured 5 or 6 thousand in damage to my car and managed to enjoy the week end. What were you racing? Self induced?
Hope to see you next season,
George

John Roswell

Word has leaked out that Road America has chosen not to renew the VSCDA sanctioning of the KIC/BRIC and May vintage race. Some members of VSCDA are talking about boycotting these events like they did a few years ago when SVRA took over the BRIC.

In my opinion, boycotts are silly and never produce the desired results.

Both of these events are good events and we always attend both as well as the ELVF. It would only hurt those of you who stay home and miss some good racing at the track we all love.

Road America is like Lambeau Field. It is ours to enjoy, no matter what.

hoffman900

Honey Badger said:
Word has leaked out that Road America has chosen not to renew the VSCDA sanctioning of the KIC/BRIC and May vintage race. Some members of VSCDA are talking about boycotting these events like they did a few years ago when SVRA took over the BRIC.

In my opinion, boycotts are silly and never produce the desired results.

Both of these events are good events and we always attend both as well as the ELVF. It would only hurt those of you who stay home and miss some good racing at the track we all love.

Road America is like Lambeau Field. It is ours to enjoy, no matter what.
I think there is the same stuff going on with SVRA and VRG. I'm not sure why competing vintage organizations have an "us vs. them" attitude.

I thought part of the point of vintage was to avoid the political wrangling that went on in SCCA?

What's so hard about going to a race based on who your competition is, the venue that it is at, or perceived value? It shouldn't be based off of what patch you are wearing on your sleeve, that's just being pompous.

In the end everyone suffers.