New Administrator / Forum Director

JFW

dynalead said:
Terry,
Yes, it does seem to be over for VRR. Too bad I enjoyed it for a long time.
Yup...it seems so.

I just couldn't devote time and resources to it and it appears my hand-off to another operator has failed.

Sorry folks.

See y'all at the races.

This forum is not dead. As long as people sit on the toilet with an iPad, there will be an audience. New reading material is scarce and many topics are avoided due to the perceived (or actual) penalties of being viewed as a whiner instead a winner.
What I find interesting about a forum such as this is the misconception many posters have regarding the persona they project. The id, the ego and the alter ego don't match. The way a person is, the way they think they are perceived, and other's perception of the person are all different. The more the difference, the closer to insanity.
For Jack, they match. Well, done. Healthy.
Rick? Not even close. Many others similarly. You may or may not know who you are. If you suspect you don't match, you don't. If you are sure you match, you REALLY don't.
Think about it. Do you match? Are you perceived accurately by others and or yourself? Probably not, but how wrong are you?
Do you ever give advise instead of your opinion? Do you feel that others view you as an expert? Do you argue a point that you feel others don't "get"?

If so, a simple test is in order:

Say something that could be construed as your opinion, at a time it was not asked for. . Did others quiet down and listen? Did they thank you for your advice? Did they act on it? If not, your opinion of the value of your opinion is not accurate.

The above is neither opinion, nor advice. No need to thank me!

dcbxyz

Racers Anonymous said:
This forum is not dead. As long as people sit on the toilet with an iPad, there will be an audience. New reading material is scarce and many topics are avoided due to the perceived (or actual) penalties of being viewed as a whiner instead a winner.
What I find interesting about a forum such as this is the misconception many posters have regarding the persona they project. The id, the ego and the alter ego don't match. The way a person is, the way they think they are perceived, and other's perception of the person are all different. The more the difference, the closer to insanity.
For Jack, they match. Well, done. Healthy.
Rick? Not even close. Many others similarly. You may or may not know who you are. If you suspect you don't match, you don't. If you are sure you match, you REALLY don't.
Think about it. Do you match? Are you perceived accurately by others and or yourself? Probably not, but how wrong are you?
Do you ever give advise instead of your opinion? Do you feel that others view you as an expert? Do you argue a point that you feel others don't "get"?

If so, a simple test is in order:

Say something that could be construed as your opinion, at a time it was not asked for. . Did others quiet down and listen? Did they thank you for your advice? Did they act on it? If not, your opinion of the value of your opinion is not accurate.

The above is neither opinion, nor advice. No need to thank me!
Wow, and I thought this was just for fun.
Anyway, seeings as no one has asked for my opinion, I'm going to give it.

I had my first race of the season last weekend. It was neither a great outing nor a failure for me personally, but for the sport it was an affirmation of why after all these years I never tire of it. This was an SCCA event, but the only difference between SCCA and vintage is a little less camaraderie among competitors - but not a lot less. What caught my attention was that when some official or worker or racer - don't know which it was other than purely amateur - was singing the national anthem I looked around and realized that most everyone stopped what they were doing and stood facing the flag - or at least where they thought the flag was - many with their hand over their heart. At first this surprised me a little, and then not so much, such are the people that go racing and always have.

I started thinking about how never once in the more than forty years I've been involved with this sport have I locked up my trailer or car. How I've never had even a second thought about leaving my tools, wallet or whatever anywhere and everywhere, or how easy it has always been to find a helping hand, or a spare part.

Very little in world operates like this. It is special, and it is important to me.

Now as for RA's rather damning criticism of perceived personna. I'm reminded of something I wrote a few years back after a few too many friends had died in rather rapid succession.

"And then there comes a time when our plans – current and future – are placed on indefinite hold, and at that point all that we can do or say has been done and said, and all that we are is what others will remember of us… and that is most certainly not a complete likeness. In literature they say that the true meaning of the written word is what the reader takes from it and not necessarily what the author intended. So goes our legacy. We are what others will make of us and little of who we truly are. It’s a shambles really. A great farce in which only our name may be remembered correctly and the rest is fabricated from faulty knowledge and biased emotion."

The point is RA, that you likely know little of those you judge.

Dave Brown

Michael

Well SVRA seems to be a Good Topic for people to voice their opinion. Or how about all the Crashing that took place at the Mitty. Adam Corrolla Talking about Vintage Racing on his show. Lots of good topics. I just Dynoed a new motor for my V8 Car. My Bill Thomas 64 is coming together nicely. My Woman Danica gonna run at Indy. Lots of good stuff to talk about!! Mike

treid

In reply to Dave, Yeah his post was pretty odd, he obviously felt he had something profound to share I didn't catch that part.

To your point, it used to blow my mind how far off base others can be when it comes to knowing who you are, what you are about, what you do or have done. I learned 35 years ago there is no point worrying about what others think. There is not enough time in the day to try to set the record straight or explain yourself to everyone. Learn to be amused by how silly it is, be happy and live your own life to the fullest.

We are only on this earth for millisecond anyway so in the big scheme of things, kind of like a puff of mist from a spray bottle.

You try to be a good person, an asset to others, put some smiles on others faces, live a life that you can be proud of when you look in the mirror. If some others do not understand all that...so what and what difference does it make? We do not get a medal or prize for being nice its just a way of life and how you were brought up.

Others are so busy with their own lives that the last thing they have time for is to think about your life or anyone elses. If they do they must lead awfully boring lives.

Totally agree about Vintage Racing it is one of the last bastions of what you talk about. Where else would one dare to leave valuables in your car unlocked with the windows down and not worry about it.

It is unique in this day and age and I am proud to be a part of it. I have made many life long friends in Vintage Racing and the kind of friends that my many other circles of friends don't understand.

TRS

zuzulo56

Alfaromeo1 said:
We are only on this earth for millisecond anyway so in the big scheme of things, kind of like a puff of mist from a spray bottle.

TRS
Or, as another has opined:

["Then the LORD God... breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."-- Genesis 2:7]

[3987]