Prod Cars at vintage events

JFW

Administrator
Hap Waldrop said:
Jack you remember what you told me about Eddie's #9 Huffaker MGB, you told me you were afraid it would show up in picture in a magazine, well it did, in a feature article in Classic Motorsports, and far I know, since this car was allowed to run, the world in vintage is the same as we know it.

These cars need to be embraced, not simply tolerated.
Times are changing and I agree that there is significant history in this period.

Strangely, I am your only supporter with any connections now and I don't have that much.

If you want in, you will have to come in gradually with a well conceived program, such as I have suggested.

You folks need to muster your people and come to an event. No one is going to come looking for you.

That is just the way it is. I am the messenger and have reached out to you.

The ball is in your court.

jw

Hap, Erik, Bob, etc....
I had some time this past weekend to talk to Jack while at Atlanta. As he just said, It's up to us to make something happen. Jack and Carl Jensen will be running the Kohler Invitational Challenge race for Road America and they are willing to accept entries for 1972-1992 SCCA cars, prod and GT 4 and 5. The car must have a SCCA logbook and the driver must declare what year the car is prepared to. If you pick a year that allows slicks then you can run on slicks. Pick a year that allows rear disc brakes and you can run rear disc brakes. etc. Additionally you can include vintage engine rules. Billet cranks and rods, etc.... Displacement and induction will be as specified by SCCA. It's anticipated these cars will run with group 8. They would like to see at least three of these cars show up.
My problem is that this event is the same weekend as the Jefferson 500 and I have prior commitments to three drivers to take them to Summit Point. Otherwise, I could have brought 4 drivers to this event. Someone else is going to have to step up. Anyone here that is currently racing with SCCA should consider going if for no other reason than testing for the Runoffs. If this doesn't happen I don't know when the next chance to run these cars will be. It's time to do more than just talk about it. We need to make it happen.
Jack, if I haven't communicated what you had in mind then correct what needs correcting.

JFW

Administrator
ETRP said:
Hap, Erik, Bob, etc....

Jack, if I haven't communicated what you had in mind then correct what needs correcting.
I wish I could invite y'all to The Kohler International Challenge in July, but I am inviting you to the Spring Vintage Weekend at Road America which is May 12 - 15.

http://roadamerica.com/SpringVintageWeekend.asp

It would be nice to have at least 4 or 5 strong commitments here before I present it to the other organizers.

Let's get you inside the barn before we take you to the Big Dance!

Sorry Jack........right weekend wrong name. I just went to the prodracing site and there is a thread there about this topic. Maybe someone will step up and make a commitment to come.

JFW

Administrator
ETRP said:
Sorry Jack........right weekend wrong name. I just went to the prodracing site and there is a thread there about this topic. Maybe someone will step up and make a commitment to come.
I just signed up over there and read all those posts. I hope we can get these guys off their stools and into their cars.

jw

Interesting discussion.

In my opinion, the best way to develop this group would be to not get tied too closely to one particular sanctioning body or another. At least initially, the participation numbers probably aren't going to be high enough to get a good showing at every event on a particular race group's season schedule. Concentrate on doing a handful of "feature" events with different organizations, and work to get a significant number of cars turn up at these particular events. That way, there is something significant to offer the organizers in terms race entries, and also hopefully enough of a draw to get some mothballed cars back out on track again. The "feature" events, at least initially, probably ought to be at some of the traditionally more lightly attended events, where the entries would be most likely to be appreciated.

Earlier in the thread, Hap mentioned the Prodfest. That's an example of what I mean by a "feature" event, that draws a lot of participants to an otherwise lightly attended event.

I'll post more thoughts later when I've got some more time.

Karl,
I think that's the direction we're headed. The event at Rd America is put on by the track and has no ties to any vintage group. This would be similar to what Brian Walsh has done for the 2.0 Trans-Am and 2.5 IMSA cars. These cars are featured at the Mitty (HSR) as well as a couple of events with other sanctioning bodies. Hopefully there will one day be enough cars to justify a specific class/group for them. Until then we need to start somewhere.

Jack, There's quite a bit of discussion on this topic at the prodracing site. Three competitors are asking if their cars would be accepted. I think you're the man to decide so you might want to go there and give them a response.

Seven people have downloaded the race car information sheet from the link on the prodracing site in 1.5 hrs. Hopefully this is an indication of interest in running these cars at vintage events.

JFW

Administrator
ETRP said:
Seven people have downloaded the race car information sheet from the link on the prodracing site in 1.5 hrs. Hopefully this is an indication of interest in running these cars at vintage events.
Great! I have just received official blessing from George Bruggenthies, the track president of Road America.

jw

Now that the Spring Vintage Weekend at RA is over, does anyone have any news to report? Were there any "Prodcar" entries? If so, how were they received?

JFW

Administrator
hpmowog said:
Now that the Spring Vintage Weekend at RA is over, does anyone have any news to report? Were there any "Prodcar" entries? If so, how were they received?
Ahhhh....they didn't show!

Elated to know about this post on cars and racing. I am searching for the right graphic designer for getting vehicle wraps of my car. Came across few professional providers and looking forward to hire the best designer for getting amazing wraps.