Rain tires

JFW

dcb said:
This is for JFW.

What are the restrictions - what's legal - with rain tires?

Dave Brown
No restrictions other than they have to fit the car properly. i.e. correct wheels and sizes.

Hoosier makes some decent ones and there are some good street radials that work well. You can even add grooves of your own with a grooving iron.

The trick with whatever you get is to NEVER use then in the dry...not even one lap! Once the sharp edges get rounded, you quickly lose a lot of wet grip.

Jack Woehrle

gastephens

In my class we are supposed to use Dunlop 204 tires. I have always assumed that is rain or shine. Is that true?

Dunlop 204s really really suck in the rain, especially if they have any wear on them.

That reminds me of a story. Back in the heyday of Group 4 (in the 80s), the competition was pretty fierce. The racers had to run the Dunlops and it started to rain. Brian MacEachern cut V grooves in his Dunlops and smoked everybody. His competitors went apoplectic but I think it was just good car prep.

JFW

Glenn Stephens said:
In my class we are supposed to use Dunlop 204 tires. I have always assumed that is rain or shine. Is that true?

Dunlop 204s really really suck in the rain, especially if they have any wear on them.

That reminds me of a story. Back in the heyday of Group 4 (in the 80s), the competition was pretty fierce. The racers had to run the Dunlops and it started to rain. Brian MacEachern cut V grooves in his Dunlops and smoked everybody. His competitors went apoplectic but I think it was just good car prep.
Yes, right after that the "Group 4 Nazis" had me write into the rules that you couldn't groove the tires.

That is long gone now.

In my opinion, you can groove the tires all you want to.

BTW, Dunlop Ls are great rain tires when they are brand new, in my opinion. If you ever run them in the dry, they are done as rain tires. They need that sharp edge. That is pretty much true of any rain tire.

I'll bet you could find a nice all-weather street radial in 70 or 60 aspect ratio that would be cheap and useful. Certainly legal. There is no "Group 4" mandate anymore.

jw

gastephens

With a car as light as a Lotus, the Dunlop Ls take a long time to heat up in the rain. I also don't think they channel water out from under the tread very effectively.

I like racing in the rain but I probably won't invest in another set of rims and tires just to do it.