Replica feelings

jcforbes

I have a desire to build a replica of a famous race car. It's a production sedan from the late 80's. I prefer to keep it to myself because I know one current owner that desires to stop me from building this car as he feels it would devalue his which is the only running example in the U.S. Five cars were built, one is in CA and runs Monterey occasionally, one is in a museum in Vegas, one is in a museum in Switzerland, and the remaining two are owned by the manufacturer and occasionally see daylight in Europe. Besides Monterey none of these cars have turned a wheel in this country in a couple decades so having one running vintage races would be very unique. I personally feel that it would likely increase the value of that other running car since nobody remembers these existed even though they were big time fan favorites back in the day.

Peter knows my other vehicular love besides Porsche so he's probably got this figured out by now ;-).

I have a deep passion for this car and have amassed a huge collection of information. I considered writing a book about it, but after some research it seems the return is not worth the time investment. I can build a pretty accurate copy with or without access to an original. Most importantly I have a client who shares the idea and can afford to pay the bill rather than a poor mechanic like me taking 15 years to build it ;-).

My question is: what's the general feeling about such replicas these days? How close would it need to be to be generally accepted by various organizations? Looking right from trackside is cake, getting the interior right not very hard, but under the hood it would be preferable to use a modern turbo for example and I can't obtain the correct brake calipers so those would have to be modern Brembos. Original engine blocks are unobtainable as well, but the difference is only a matter of the race part being lighter but otherwise visually and dimensionally identical. I have a feeling since it would be the first time one of these cars racing in 25 years would buy a decent bit of slack too.

ProCoach

(John) Cody Forbes said:
Peter knows my other vehicular love besides Porsche so he's probably got this figured out by now ;-).

I have a deep passion for this car and have amassed a huge collection of information. Most importantly I have a client who shares the idea and can afford to pay the bill rather than a poor mechanic like me taking 15 years to build it ;-).
Do it!

JFW

(John) Cody Forbes said:
I have a desire to build a replica of a famous race car. It's a production sedan from the late 80's.

My question is: what's the general feeling about such replicas these days? How close would it need to be to be generally accepted by various organizations? Looking right from trackside is cake, getting the interior right not very hard, but under the hood it would be preferable to use a modern turbo for example and I can't obtain the correct brake calipers so those would have to be modern Brembos. Original engine blocks are unobtainable as well, but the difference is only a matter of the race part being lighter but otherwise visually and dimensionally identical. I have a feeling since it would be the first time one of these cars racing in 25 years would buy a decent bit of slack too.
So…what are you looking at?

Perhaps...

At any rate, most organizations nowadays have no problem with true "replicas". It gets a little more dicy when you start to take liberties with specifications.

Each group has different takes on this and some, frankly, don't know the difference.

jw

Michael

Instead of calling it a Replica,call it a Tribute to the original? I like putting Old Race Shops on the Quarters of my Race car for the Mitty. One year I had Crown Manufacturing,who made Hot Rod Parts in the 60s,then Baired and Trivette who Built racecars for the likes of Felton,Clay Young,Reeves etc. My Car is a Tribute to the McIntosh V8 that terrorrized the South East in the 70s! So far everyone has accepted my Racer,I dont think you will have a problem. Mike

hoffman900

A funny story...

A bunch of us were standing on pit wall for a SCCA Majors test day and Dick was out there in his TR4 just doing some t&t. Ray Krafston was there with his son and came over and mentioned how he 'loved the Dick Stockton tribute car'. We all had a big laugh later at Dick's expense.

I know I'm being pedantic when I say this, but if you build a replica, especially of a winning car, it better be running at the pointy end of the field. It's one thing to show up with the original - everyone gets that. But the current rules allow (LEGALLY) items that are performance advantages... for a clean sheet build, imo, it should take full advantage of the rules. No one wants to see 'Bob Sharp' or 'Tullius', etc running mid pack, at least, that's my opinion.

jcforbes

Peter must have gotten it. One of you by happenstance mentioned the right team, another picked the right brand ;-). This picture of my daily driver should clear it right up:

I like this idea very much. I'd love to see one of the IMSA Audis in person, even in tribute form. I don't complain when I get to see an assortment of real and replica 3.0CSLs on track!
While I understand the argument against replicas in vintage racing, your point about the originals not being used anymore is more poignant I think. The whole point of vintage racing (besides, you know, the racing) is to give these old cars a good workout! Sticking a potent race car in a museum is-in my humble opinion-the worst thing you can do with it.

But maybe that's because I don't have to worry about owning expensive cars! :D

Well, what might you call my car? It's the '59 MGA running here with R. Zabarski's works cars.

It's not a true vintage racecar since it was built after 1990. It's not a true replica of any known car. At best I think it's a "sort of" period correct car that I use to go racing.

So I say do it but call it what it is. As long as you're honest and don't try to pawn it off as an original, I think you're OK.

But I like the idea of calling it a tribute car better than a replica.

jcforbes

I do suppose thats a more similar situation than I had previously considered. The TA Tribute seemed different to me since where your MG is largely similar to the few hundred of those built for SCCA and whatnot 'in the day' and beyond where the TA would be based off of a run of 5 factory built cars. I likened it more to say deciding to build say a McLaren MP4/4 (Senna era F1 car) to take vintage racing. You point out that my view on that is silly. I talked with my customer about it again yesterday and he's still interested so I'm going to pull the chassis I have out of storage and get cracking.

Now I just have a problem that I run a Porsche shop and if this project goes to plan my new flagship will be an Audi LOL! Anybody that wants a 961 give me a call ;-).